PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2002, 19:43
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone.
Well, I hate to be the one to say "I told you so".

Interesting how it wasn't Minister Hoon who had the bottle to initially break the news formally. That honour fell to a good old Junior Minister. The cynic in me notes that the Junior Minister was also a Lord. ??Subliminal message.

We all know this is a disgusting decision, left (despite several assurances from Mr Hoon) until the very last minute before recess so that he would not have to face the full heat of the response.

I'm currently studying the Government response so will refrain from an in-depth reply at the moment. I promise I won't take six months to reply though!

Interesting slant on the negligence angle though - "Negligence can operate either alone or in conjunction with other factors to cause an accident".

What about - "Government Departments can operate either alone or in conjunction with Senior Officers and weak Ministers to avoid responsibility for an accident"
Just my slant on things

I would encourage everyone to write again to your MPs to express your disgust at the latest statement. Whilst I appreciate that they are soon off on their hols, your letter will be waiting for them upon their return and they will be reminded of this injustice. Ask that they write to Minister Hoon to clarify why this decision has been made. Also get them to ask for the full details of the Boeing simulation as Minister Hoon said that he would make everything available. Hoon will find a rather large post bag waiting for him, which he will promptly pass on to the MoD.

The campaign continues, and everyone has a lot of writing to do!

Rest assured I, and my friends in the Campaign Group are in no hurry to go anywhere. There is a strategy meeting planned and I will keep you all informed of the developments. Rest assured, the gloves have been removed.

Please try, wherever possible, to keep this injustice in the public eye.

To those still serving and flying I would say this: Be sure that the aircraft you are going to fly is fully serviceable. No matter how small the snag, consider using another aircraft. Should that tiny little snag cause loss or damage to the aircraft (or heaven forbid anything worse), how can you be sure that you will not be held to account? Protect yourself. It is clear that there are only a few who are indispensable.

I was also pleased to note that the BBC website covering this story places the campaign web site higher than that of the House of Commons and the Ministry of Defence. Coincidence? Nah!

Jon, Rick and their families need us all now more than ever.

Keep up the good work everyone!
My regards, as always
Brian
"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook