PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Flying lesson - Not what i expected
Old 25th May 2010, 19:06
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You and me both mate still on a learning curve myself.

There is stall training and spin awareness but no spinning as such.

FI's have to demonstrate a spin in thier intial FI test but don't have to again after that and they don't have to patter it.

Commercial pilots who don't go down the FI route may have never done a spin ever.

Landing and takeoff are the application of the basic handling exercises which are the foundations of flying. If the student can look out the window and use the controls to set a picture and let the aircraft do the flying by trimming properly everything else falls into place. If the aircraft does as per the book there are no suprises left for the student. If the aircraft has by design been sedated they have only seen half the experence picture.

Anyway 90% of the stress level of the student is dictated by how confident and stressed out the instructor is. A chilled confident instructor will be able to create the same learning enviroment and the student will know. A twitchy at the controls, covering the rudder pedals not confident in thier own skills of either flying or instructing will create a stressed out learning enviroment.

BTW in no way am implying that the instructor of the OP created a stressed out enviroment, he could have been 120% maxed out and had the old white knuckle death grip on the controls. Wouldn't be the first and wouldn't be the last to do that either who then continued on to get their brown book.