PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2010, 16:01
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Oneye,
I think Diplome has done rather more than she should have done to answer your questions.
Back in this thread are all sorts of bits of info which when put to-gether answer all the questions. As you probably know, the answer is always 42.

On your most recent post, as I've said on this thread before, to understand what is going on, you have to get in to the striker's mind set. As someone else has observed, it is a bit like joining a cult.

The research (I can't remember who did it, but Prof John Purcell of Bath Uni will remember) shows that the mindset changes substantially once the actual strike has started. "The other side" become devils, evil, and need to be stopped at all costs. Rationality goes out of the window - for both sides sometimes.Putting WW's face on your rear-end is perfectly understandable.
Plus, for 20-30 years BA have always backed down, (not just to CC but to check-in staff with 20% absence rates, baggage handlers with or without light fingers, , Pilots and anyone else who could organise themselves to say "Boo!!" loudly to the BA management)............ so what Holley et al are doing is Completely sensible to them.

I'll repeat that in different words..............Holley and co are being perfectly rational from their perspective.

As to the "lies" and "spin" - after 100 years (OK, it only feels like that) of Campbell and Mandelson, what on earth do you expect??
If a Government can produce the dodgy dossier and get away with it, with not a single person fired, surely there is no problem with a modest amount of Bassa lies and spin???.

As to why BA can't spin. Simples. They are a listed Company. I'm not going in to the listing Rules here, but believe me, they can't do it. End of.