PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HIV & CAA Class 1 Medical
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2010, 07:31
ANAV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the CAA document Kui posted, it mentions the class 1 applicant may attract a multi-crew limitation (or not). I am applying for a class 1 in New Zealand and am aware I am one of only five HIV positive applicants ever to have applied for this type of medical certification in the country. I also know the other four were successful and are flying with class 1s, but with a single pilot no pax restriction i.e. multi-crew limitation.

The CAA here do not publish their position on HIV in the professional flight crew environment and therefore do not give any guidelines like those given in the aforementioned document. When asked, they only offer very generic answers; and I quote "provided your condition is stable and there are no issues with your medication, there would be no reason why you wouldn't be granted a class 1" or "each individual is assessed on a case by case basis, and you will be judged on your individual merits".

Naturally my concern is that I get slapped with this restriction, given that every other HIV positive commercial pilot in NZ has, driving my career in a direction I hadn't intended due to the restrictiveness of the limitation (multi crew limitation).

My question, therefore is: does anyone know under what circumstances might a successful class 1 HIV positive applicant attract a single pilot no pax restriction?

I believe it may have something to do with the medication but can it be explained in more detail please?

Thanks