PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Helo Crash Video
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2002, 16:55
wde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a decade of flying BK's and now the S76, I have often wondered why it is not common practice to have the Non flying pilot put his hands at the throttle quadrant, ready to pull throttles if the need arose, during final approach. I realize this would be a defined departure from SOP's regarding helo ops, short final, with the NFP calling Q's and Temps, but in the event of a short final catastrophic failure, at least his/her hands are at the ready to chop throttles at the flying pilot's command. Of course, there are inherent "dangers" in doing this, but maybe trainig could resolve some of the concerns. Perhaps once the FP has called LDP or committed, then the hands would go to the ready position....

FW (I shudder to bring them into the equation) 'hold' hands during take-off roll until Vr...so perhaps something could be brought into the equation for RWops...just a thought, and looking for feedback.

I get shivers each time I look at this video; the rate of rotation sure seems to accelerate through 90-270 degrees....