PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Flying lesson - Not what i expected
Old 24th May 2010, 22:15
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spinning is a bit hard core these days most new instructors poo themselves if you even suggest they spin anything.

Its not even part of the course these days unless the student wants to do it.

they don't need to haver anything hammered into there brains apart from how to fly properly using attitude which is the whole point of the exercises anyway. Its more lively than a cessna but it ain't an aero's machine.

Never had a problem with students in them. In fact I have had more folk barf in a C150/C152 than I have in a PA38. In fact we do a fear of flying course in them which so far has a very high success rate. The barfing thing is proberly to do with the fact the whole thing is so sluggish to respond in the C152. Puts it into the natural freq range of folks stomachs Where as the tommy bouncing around is higher freq and more responsive, doesn't confuse the brain and inner ear because the picture changes with the bump instead of a wee bit after.

Another advantage in the tommy/pipers is that as soon as you start the prop the vents put a blast of air right where its needed on your face/torso instead of cooling your ankles so the cockpit is more pleasant on the taxi out.

Go and have a shot in one, they are bloody good fun and you might see what I mean. I have 750 hours in them and even after 3500hours of flying twin turbo props I love going back to fly them and teach in them. The other 200 hours instructing I have done is in C152's and if I get my way I won't do another hour in the smelly under powered cramped heaps of poo.

O aye once you get them off the ground/ your not landing there is nothing special about the handling of a taildragger what ever the strut boys would have you believe (well thats not true with some of them but personally I think thats a rigging issue not an aerodynamic one)