PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Flying lesson - Not what i expected
Old 24th May 2010, 21:26
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MEALIES,

When do you get up next time? Let us know how you did.

I had enough of convection turbulence in Robinson 22 helicopter, cruising at 90kt. Not that fast for fixed wing, but enough for flimsy lil' chopper with notoriously dangerous rotorhead system if not handled well. Holding stick steady and wedged against thigh to forbid myself counteract the gusts out of habit (like in hover). Give me those thermals in paragliding and gliding and I'll be fine.

BTW, there was a thread in the 'rotorheads' section (I think) about heli pilots and fear of height. Or some guy felt uneasy higher up and started thread and how to overcome it, then heli guys contributed. I know it's not about turbulence, but just goes to show something.
Not counting "chronic fears of heights" persons, you'd find enough experienced rotary pilots who don't feel comfy in helicopter high up. Whether it's the (too good) visibility, or other factors. Many of them fly low, 500-1500' AGL on the job most of the time.
Some agree that it's the irrational feeling of less security, seeing the void below, unfamiliar view - and that's commercial pilots.

Haha, that reminds me of one old chap who used to fly crop duster, Czech Zlin Z37 'Bumblebee'. He spend pretty much all of the time below 150' AGL, having flown 3-4000 hours dusting. He said that they were so used to fly low that they tended to fly same heights when ferrying between fields, airfields etc. Strictly no-no these days.

I'm scared of heights. I am. Just that it's rather on top/edge of bridge spans, high rise blocks, etc. In aircraft, not really. Irrational, isn't it? flying low level-ish, skimming the ridge, nearing the base of nice cumulus in thermal at 4000-6000ft, oh, what fun.

m_j,
so we pretty much agree. I just think that people (especially those who can get stressed out or queasy) may prefer more docile aircraft to start with.
I do also believe that sooner or later during their training they really should keep on practicing spins, being shown spin from crap turn and how easy it is sometimes when overloaded with information, conditions, cows getting bigger..
Some vintage aircraft don't have geometrically or aerodynamically twisted wing for pre-stall buffet warning (stalling at the root first). Early solo pilot may not notice something not right till too late in these, hence 'stick shaking' could be good.

I never said that Tommy is death trap. Just that it needs some inputs to get it back to nicer attitude from what I read (which people have to have hammered into their brain anyway, as you say as well). I haven't flown it, just saw in the hangar in the fleet of one aeroclub. It ain't tailwheel, anyway.