PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 24th May 2010, 20:17
skylight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More on staff travel

I listened to Jeremy Vine this afternoon on radio 2,when several cabin crew strikers had called in explaining the emotional hardship they were experiencing and how the removal of staff travel was tantamount to bullying unfair...etc (they did not mention that they had several memos fromThe BA Ifce team warning them of the removal of staff travel should they choose to participate).Then, they argued that commuters were especially affected as they were recruited under the auspices of being able to commute in order to get to work.....
Mr Boyd for Unite also articulated this point also on BBc this am)

Well having worked incabin crew recruitment and selection for several years I can catergorically state that we remind candidates who reside over seas that the stipulation to function as ACC is to ensure you reside within 90mins of your airport base.
Indeed when we had a campaighn years ago in Madrid we emphasised the importance of relocating to the uk especially if they were to be given a eurofleet or midfleet allocation if sucessful.Again it was made clear that if they choose to live furthur afield, as a large proportion of cabin crew do....thats fine as long as they make adequate provisions to get to work on time. It would be ludicrous for us to stipulate that staff travel will ensure that they could get to work ok and thereby minimise the expense on their pockets...when staff travel is provided after a probationary period of satisfactory service within the airline and secondly, with all the risks associated with disruption to our airline due to weather,industrial action not only with our airline but as has been the case in the past ATC,terrorist alerts full capacity etc...it would simply be unprofessional to suggest this.
I can only speak from my own expereince in cabin crew recruitment and selection...where I have been part of the team for over 14 years.
Before anyone does....do not blame me for the individuals who are renting Bedfont!!!!

Last edited by skylight; 24th May 2010 at 23:03.