PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kent Air Ambulance crew attacked
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 20:00
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 91 Likes on 37 Posts
Kent Air Ambulance crew attacked

BBC News item here:

Two held over Kent Air Ambulance attack in Sevenoaks

Two youths have been arrested and bailed following a disturbance which happened after a Kent Air Ambulance helicopter responded to a 999 call.
Police were called after the aircraft landed in a field near The Vine Cricket Ground, Sevenoaks, on Sunday afternoon.
Officers said two people had been seen hanging off the helicopter's tail fin and swinging on the pilot's door.
When the pilot asked them to stop they became verbally aggressive and one grabbed the pilot around his throat.
Kent Police said a 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and public order offences, while a 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of common assault and public order offences.
Aircraft inspected
Both were given bail pending further inquiries.
The Kent Air Ambulance Service said the incident prevented the helicopter from being used to transport an injured baby, who had to be taken to hospital by road accompanied by the air ambulance's crew.
The aircraft was unable to return to service until it was given a full inspection by an engineer, which was completed on Monday morning.
John Tickner, chief executive, said: "I find it incredible that anybody would want to attack a charity air ambulance and its crew, whose sole purpose is to help seriously injured people in their time of need.
"It is completely unacceptable that any of our staff are subjected to an assault and we will always fully support the police in any further action."
Having thoroughly enjoyed some very pleasant times on floater duty with KAAT in the past, it was disturbing to read the article referenced. With any luck, the driver (BA?) didn't catch anything off the scrotes. Best wishes to all at Marden - hope this doesn't put you off.

Had 2 surprising jobs in Kent - 1 at a shiny new, expensive housing estate on an old WW2 airfield, where I started getting concerned when people like the above began kicking a football at the aircraft to see what I'd do (phoned the police...). However, it's not all bad there - was tasked to a real downtrodden-looking quarter of Folkestone and landed on a patch of rough ground where some youngsters had been playing footie before we arrived. They couldn't have been more helpful - some were Ambulance cadets themselves (presumably St J's). Just went to remind me that you can't take anything for granted/ judge books by covers.

Last edited by Thud_and_Blunder; 24th May 2010 at 20:37.