PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky X2 coaxial heli developments.
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 19:00
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigid Rotor,
Could you elaborate on #2 & #3?
The concerns about the efficiency of the X2 relate to;
The aerodynamics in respect to the effects of reverse velocity, the high profile and parasitic drag and the rotor/propeller interaction.
~ and ~
The power train in respect to independently controlling the speed and torque distribution to the rotors and the propeller. You have commented on the use of a load splitter such as spider gears or 3-way planetary gear, to which I agree. However IMHO, there also must be a means of controlling the specific power distribution to the rotors v.s. propellers in addition to changing their collective pitch setting.
All of the above has been elaborate on in the previous 700 posting and the many linked web pages.

To my knowledge, Sikorsky has not addressed or solved these specific problems.

The primary shortcoming of the V-22 is that of limited capacity (hover). The primary shortcoming of the X2 will be forward speed (cruise). Both craft will/would spend more of their time in forward flight then in hover, which works to the disadvantage of the X2.

I suspect that the Armed Services have become very despondent over the V-22 and the Comanche. When this is combined with the current and future economy, it is doubtfully that any external money will be forthcoming for the X2.

Perhaps Sikorsky should spend more time under the hood (Engineering) and less time polishing the paint job (Marketing).

Dave