PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - decent radio to listen to atc?
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 13:12
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Heathrow Director is from the old school which is not a criticism pre se, but the world has really moved on. Taking photos of the lines of aircraft on delivery during the Second World War at Prestwick may have been seen as an act of spying, nowadays we view it as a priceless historical archive.

Context is everything. There is little harm that can be done by telling the press what you hear on ATC. If it's important enough to upset people and end up in the press, they'd get it from another chatty pilot IMHO. Such is life. To be honest, I'd be more concerned if they really did try and stop us listening because we'd then be convinced they had something to hide! We now know we have good reason to suspect "the authorities" as they've been caught BS'ing once too often. I mean for the love of God the Head of the CAA has no Aviation Experience and came from Worst Great Western Railways, something which I have painful experience of. Somehow leave it to the professionals isn't the defenece it once was....if ever!

Transparency is often a good thing gentlemen, calm yourselves to a frenzy please. If an ATCO vectors two aircraft into each other, the spotter informing the press is really the least of his worries.

Think of context. Next to no-one ever gets proesecuted for "tweaking" their CV a little. However in the wrong circumstances, the CPS shouts public interest and you'll get prosecuted. Think of Maxine Carr who lied on her CV in a way that many do. I ask again, how many spotters / enthusiasts have been prosecuted for listening to the airband since 1945?

Can someone outline the real world harm that this does and outline a top level case for sending someone to court? The courts are busy places I believe (!)