PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 09:48
starvingcfi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Well sorry about the misunderstanding. Your handle and number of posts led me to think you were a starving chief flying instructor on light aircraft.

I'm a bit perplexed by what you said on the Afriqiyah thread.

Half way down the runway and you're still coaxing the Libyan pilot to not force it on. This is odd, but I wasn't there. Would you care to expand on that, specifically the reasons why. I'm just left with what you wrote.'

no problem. you're not the first. i've been using this name since i was a starving cfi in 2002. chose to keep the name rather than change it every time i move to new equipment...starving402pilot, starvinghawkercaptain, starvingchallengercaptain.

i delivered the aircraft to the libyans and stayed to fly with them for 2 months while they gained experience in type. the morning i touched down in tripoli was the last time i was allowed to touch the controls. they never once offered a leg (even though i was clearly bored sitting in the right seat) and i never asked.

in hindsight, continuing the landing was a poor decision on my part. had i been in the left seat, we would've gone around and tried again. in reality - had i been in the left seat, we would've been on speed in the first place.

anyway, we had flown several trips by this point and i was thoroughly unimpressed with their skill set. this must have been our first instrument approach to the east and i made sure he knew we needed to be slowed and configured prior to the final approach fix, or else we would never get down and be on speed. as we zoomed toward the final approach fix, he asked for flaps 10. i should have reiterated the fact that we needed to be slowed/configured, but i'm one to let people learn from their mistakes. we hit the FAF, started down, and began configuring on speed.

as we crossed the fence, we were well over ref. however with an 11,076 ft runway, a landing distance of less than 2500 ft (usually the case), and the speed bleeding off nicely...i elected not to push for a go around. he was very clearly considering pushing the nose down to force the plane on the ground before it was ready. my concern was wheelbarrowing. i'm not sure how a tail strike would be a valid concern at that point.

again, i should've told him to go around...or elected to go around for him. i didn't. lesson learned.