PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 08:23
4PW's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well sorry about the misunderstanding. Your handle and number of posts led me to think you were a starving chief flying instructor on light aircraft.

Knowing why these accidents occur isn't guess work. Not for those in the industry when their airline proffers information on unstabilized approaches to hopefully inculcate a revulsion for them by its pilots.

If training alone won't force pilots to realise the hazards, industry statistics for over-run's might. They are very telling. They're not massaged.

Over 95% of all over-run's began life as an unstabilized approach. Not all unstabilized approaches end up this way, true, but over 95% of over-run's began unstabilized. Sadly, some may get away with it once, twice, even more times than you'd care to count.

Hence the imperative of airline flight ops departments to insist people carry out missed approaches if not in the slot at the final gate lest a trend develop whereby 'he got away with it' and so can I.

I'm a bit perplexed by what you said on the Afriqiyah thread.

Half way down the runway and you're still coaxing the Libyan pilot to not force it on. This is odd, but I wasn't there. Would you care to expand on that, specifically the reasons why. I'm just left with what you wrote.

Not only would my ass-be-grass for doing that (where I've worked, and now work) but the risk of tailstrike grows alarmingly high when floating down a runway.

Over-run's, tailstrikes...these are very big issues.

This was an over-run. The reasons will be clear soon enough. For me, it already is. Wet or dry, he landed long. Argument over. And that's got naught to do with sounding off. It's got a lot to do with frustration, amazement, distress.