PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 08:23
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree with TopTup - it's the System, and the Culture.

David1300 Good point ! To be honest I can't accurately recall the precise words some 30+ years later, but the impression I formed, and am therefore left with, was that any change had to be proved to be sustained in the same direction before it was passed to an aircraft .

I would agree that one has to wait a little time to prove that a change in the reading was not transitory, and that the 'improvement' - in this case - was continuing in a positive direction, it would be confusing to be told that the RVR was 200 - 210 -215 - 205 - 220 - 200 etc. over a short space of time, but my point was that the sun was getting higher in the sky, the fog was clearing, the controller had a good view of the whole airfield,and terrain beyond, I was up there with them and could see how the visibility had rapidly improved, yet he insisted in sticking to the book in full knowledge that he had an inbound flight holding at altitude within minutes of having to divert to a distant airfield if he didn't at least advise them that the situation was improving and that the aircraft could shortly expect a descent clearance.

Occasionally one has to think outside the square - and of course justify that action At The Subsequent Court Of Inquiry !

And ....... I did - later - question to others what their procedure might be when the situation was degrading. I never found out.

Fireflybob Why ? no idea, probably a local requirement.

Jimmygill the numbers were shown by a series of what I would now describe as little red LED's, like nothing I had seen before, or since, it looked very 'local' !

One did occasionally despair ! Flying from Bangkok to Calcutta when one of the Indian / Pakistan wars broke out, we were adv. that our track would carry us over East Pakistan ( now Bangladesh ) and this was now forbidden, so turn left and proceed to a Lat. and Long. South of Calcutta and then intercept and fly inbound on the 180 radial of the Calcutta VOR.

Out with the sextant and 'found' the required position, then turned North and discovered that we couldn't pick up the Calcutta VOR. Yes, said ATC, we have turned off all Navaids and airport lights due enemy attack, but maintain the 180 radial of the VOR. You want us to maintain the 180 radial of the Calcutta VOR, which you have turned off ? Affirmative.

We called company who told us that the airport was in complete darkness, and confirmed that all navaids - including the ILS - were turned off, but they had been assured that when we were on finals we could have the runway lights for 30 secs. What was the current weather ? 800 ft. overcast in rain. Goodnight !

Back to ATC to request a diversion to Rangoon. OK, cleared via the 180 radial of the Calcutta VOR to the previous Lat / Long position. We're not receiving the VOR. Correct, it is turned off due enemy attack, maintain the 180 radial Southbound.

Monty Python couldn't have written the script, and Bill Gates wouldn't believe it, so it would never be part of a Flight Sim. scenario, still, I did get to see Rangoon - my one and only visit !

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 24th May 2010 at 08:49.