PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 04:30
Burger Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet my bottom Dollar, that if the crew touched down well passed of the 1000ft marker, it was not because they were hot and high on the approach, but to grease it on in order to avoid a hard landing detection of the performance monitoring system (not sure how they call this system on a 737 in India).

Personally, instead of having a debate automation vs handflying, I would rather see a discussion weather these kind of crew performance monitors have made flying safer. Reason is, and that is why I bring this up: in certain airlines these monitoring systems are not really used to detect certain trends and therefore improve crew training, but rather to punish the crew involved, etc

The result is, that crew feel more pressured. Not only it takes the fun of flying away, but could lead into scenarios where the crew prioritize the wrong things.

Personally I have met crews who in the past hardly -if ever- accepted a visual approach on a calm, beautiful day, because they were afraid that one of the monitored parameters during the approach was triggered (combined with a mandatory invitation for tea & biscuits with the CP the following day). And when the day arrived that there was no (especially precision) instrument approaches available, the crew was nervous as heck.