PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 03:02
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is like the Libyan thread. Pilot error there. He descended below minimums while lining up on a road. Manoeuvring got them in the end. Said it early on, but got ragged out and thought the hell with it. Deleted most of my posts.
However, I for one, believe you are quite correct.
I've completed dozens of NDB approaches to 09 at TIP over the years, and....had several First Officers line up squarely on the road just to the south.
I gave 'em the guff, and they thought better of it, and went missed...yes, overshoot old British term, still used in south Asia.

Aircraft automation is here to stay, no doubt about it (and I fly the first of the type that offered true automation, the L1011) however, good basic flying skills are still definitely needed, otherwise....expect more dead bodies.

NB.
Been flying to India since 1975, bad ATC/runways/approach aids then...and not much better now, it seems.
India today says they are a developed country...might be so, however, sadly underdeveloped ATC/runways etc.
Par for the course for this region.
IE: more money to be made investing somewhere else...other than aviation and aviation infrastructure.

Expect little change.

Last edited by 411A; 24th May 2010 at 03:13.