PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 01:16
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a surprising number in this thread who seem to misunderstand the use of automation in modern aircraft. I base my comment soley on your comments regarding the use of automation, when and how you should use the appropriate level of automation and knowing when it is a good idea to hand fly.

If you presently fly one of these 3rd or 4th generation aircraft you would be well advised to adhere to some rather basic methods of operation.

Might I suggest you apply the following?
These Third and Fourth generation aircraft are meant (by the manufacturer) to be flown using the maximum benefit of the automation. Re-read your AFM. In case you missed it there, read your FCTM or FCOM.
We have gone from 5 man, to 4 man, to 3 man and now 2 man flight crew aeroplanes. Why convert that into a one man show??? And, yes. Why overload the PNF? Does this really sound safe or wise to you?

I'd also recommend that you become a maestro with the FCP and FMS to optimize that automation well before you try hand flying one of these aircraft from TOD to touchdown. When you can fly the entire profile with automation from cruise to autopilot disconnect on the roll out and disconnect the auto brake approaching taxy speed, then you are proficient enough to hand fly that generation of machine.
I wouldn't compare the DC3 or DC6 with any of these aircraft. They didn't fly at 8 nm a minute so the mental processing rates are extremely different. With the automation and navigation equipment in any DC3 or 4 or 6, it would be an unfair comparison.

The reason some of these accidents happened (don't listen to me, read the final reports for yourself) and the reasons for a sudden upward spike in accident rates in recent years, has been due to loss of control and stall. The probable causes vary from mixing autoflight and manual flight, flight mode confusion and inappropriate use of the automation.

We can all get to the point where our comfort level with the automation is sufficient to hand fly on a more regular basis. The experts at A and B will tell you (with a straight face) the pilot is a monitor. Something the human factors experts tell us that we humans aren't very good at.

Could these facts in combination also be a contributing factor in many of these accidents? Including Mangalore.