PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jumpseat Question
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2010, 00:47
superfrozo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Interesting take on it NC, but I have to ask, why the priority for commuters? Is that not unlike the arbitrary AOA/non-AOA distinction??

Quite frankly, I don't see why, for example, a HK-based guy trying to return to HK from SYD after leave is less JS-worthy than SYD commuter who is trying to get to work. But by your "priority" allocation, the commuter trumps the leave returnee. I find this idea quite strange.

(Lest I be accused of picking on your system, yours is not the only "JS priority allocation system" I have heard of that favours commuters.)

I guess my point is this: I see NO reason as to why commuters are seen as warranting preference over non-commuters. This represents some fairly skewed logic in my humble opinion. One could even argue that the opposite is warranted: i.e. the commuter has chosen this rather deleterious lifestyle choice, and it should be him/her disadvantaged as opposed to those who are working within the "spirit" of the HK-based roster system.
(How many times have you arrived at despatch to have a commuter ask "Can I rest 1st/2nd, I need to rest at time X due to my commute!?")

Thankfully, I have 18+ years to command before I have to worry about such ethically complex questions. Honestly, it's enough to make a man commute!!

Any Captains trying to work out who I am to decide whether I should get JS1 or not: I'm a 49er supporting, CPU & AOA member who regularly commutes with his 38DD 19 year-old promiscuous Brazilian bi-sexual swinger-wife who has a thing for Captains that give her husband J1.