PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guess Where Our (EK)Bonus Went
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:20
EK-or-bust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dusty old chap. No, just a standard Boeing driver like so many others. No stars, only stripes.

In the minority yes, I guess most just fly by this forum without saying much. Been a few years since I visited PPrune, did the obvious research before joining, but finding advice from regular line-guys more helpful (& useful) than the negativity seen here. Contrary to common belief, there are an overwhelmingly amount of satisfied drivers in EK. Could things be better? Sure. But we are in the ME. Case closed.

Life a misery? Then change. Otherwise you be the stupid one, right?

June roster out a few hours ago: mid-bid, 14 days OFF, with a few extra rest days thrown in. Still pull my 88+ hours though, but lots of time with the family, on the beach, in the mountains, etc. Might even manage 4 days in Milano or Venice. Tired? Somewhat. Fatigued? No.
AED 54,000 tax-free salary at the end of the month does not hurt either.
Could I have done this in my home country in western Europe with my flag carrier (where I used to work). No. Short & sweet.

If you're a bus-driver I feel for you, but then again, you knew this when you joined, right? Having read plenty of old(ish) posts on this forum, the info was certainly available.
Angry about your upgrade? Again: you know who you signed up to work for right. Vaseline etc? No big surprises there.

So, to potential new joiners coming to the Sandpit to work for Emirates; do your research. It might not be for you. If so, stay away. No point in moaning about anything here, because nobody in management cares. Nor will they care in the future. We are here to make the big shiny things fly & make heaps of money for them. It works.
Know that there are MANY ugly truths about what makes the uAE (lower case u intended) work that might not sit well with you (lots of online info and at least one thread here about that). But show me a country that can throw the first stone, etc.

On the other hand, if you think it might work for you, give it a try. There are loads of happy families living here. Their pilot fathers (and more recently; mothers?) just don't post much on Pprune.

And Dusty: Yes. I do think I can change some peoples minds with this pro EK info.
To the rest of you: do us all a favour and find that greener pasture, yeah? Asap and all that?