PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2010, 19:17
HundredPercentPlease

Received 59 Likes on 22 Posts
Bluestar,

I am referring to the "dive and drive" where you fly to MDA and then level off looking for the runway. If you can't find it by the MAP, then you go around.

This is not allowed in our company (and many others). You have to fly a stabilised, or continuous descent approach. When you descend down to 50' above MDA you either continue in a stable descent down to the runway, or go around. It is assumed that the initiation of the go around takes less than 50', so you never bust your MDA. This old, de-stabilised method is what makes the old boys real men, but also was a contributory factor in many accidents so is now prohibited by operators with a proactive safety culture.

Hand flying is fine though, but most people choose to practice their skills by flying eyes down on fine days so the PNF can just monitor by watching out of the window. When you are in marginal WX and you need to get in, maximum use of all the aids is a wise strategy. It minimises risk, and in my company that's what I'm paid to do.