PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SO's to get P1 rating?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:52
lemondog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently an SO and I have to say the idea of going to 3 man crew with a new rating is rediculous. In my opinion the FDP limitations are almost at or are fast approaching the absolute maximum, ie mid east flights, double BKK-KHI etc. Some of these flights are conducted three man crew with one SO, FO and CN. As an SO you can at times feel out of the loop with what is going on, especially when you have just started your apprenticeship etc. To go three man crew to other destinations like LON, FRA etc would just be an extension of the fatigue I have already experienced. Throw an emergency in or an incapcitated Pilot etc and you are going to further reduce safety through having a Pilot at the controls who is not 100% endorsed on the aircraft, let alone confidently have the experience and knowledge of what would be required should the Sh*t hit the fan.Why would a company put itself in this situation? If they want to go three man crew then give us appropriate tools to do the job! I guess the old saying of "safety costs" is true.
Lemondog.