PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Flying lesson - Not what i expected
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew

My first flight was courtesy of the RAF in an Anson out of Shawbury. It must have been bumpy because I noticed how the wings flexed. I have never been airsick but other than in the calm of the evening, I always seem to be bounced about by thermals or the wind. It's part of the challenge, especially on approach. My wife, however, had to give up flying, despite undertaking some long flights in summer thermals, simply because she felt unwell. She was sick only once, when the port wing dropped 60 degrees and was smartly picked up. She is also sea-sick and queasy in cars unless driving. I have a friend who started to learn to fly, but withdrew due to chronic airsickness.

So I'd encourage you to persevere a bit to see if you become inured without medication to the normal bumpiness of flight in light aircraft, but be prepared to accept on physiological grounds that flying may not be for you. You might find that when control of the aircraft becomes second nature, and you are required to navigate and use the radio, that there is no “spare brian” with which to evaluate your physiological state and airsickness will have become a passing phase. Equally, feeling ill will degrade your ability to aviate, navigate, communicate, and deal with emergencies. Certainly, there’s no fun flying if it makes you feel ill.