PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citation Biggin Crash any news on why yet ?
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:12
Trim Stab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asdf1234:

Your possible scenario does make sense of the facts.

I noticed in reading the section on the pilots' experience that the co-pilot had no multi-crew training or experience, and was flying in a "mentor" role. He would also have little or no experience flying from the RHS in any aircraft, let alone the C500. I wonder whether this may also have contributed?

The "mentor" pilot might have felt an obligation to take over PF duties as the situation deteriorated. He might have then unexpectedly discovered that he couldn't reach the igniters, boost pumps starter buttons without unbuckling his seat belt, so would then have had to revert to relying on LHS to carry out those functions. I can imagine that crew co-operation could degenerate very quickly.

The AAIB did not discuss the lack of multi-crew experience of the mentor, but then I suppose this would have been out of their remit, given that the LHS pilot was licenced to operate the aircraft single-pilot.

FWIW, if flying in RHS as mentor pilot on light single-pilot jets, I think the emergency briefing needs to be carefully thought through. The simplistic PF/PNF division of responsibilities is not necessarily the best procedure if the PF is in the LHS but not very experienced on the aircraft.

Last edited by Trim Stab; 23rd May 2010 at 12:50.