PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citation Biggin Crash any news on why yet ?
Old 23rd May 2010, 09:40
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello!

As I understand the report, the pilot got into a state of having both engines shut down due to a faulty thrust control (broken rivet).
That broken rivet only explains why the left hand engine might have been accidentally shut down, because it allowed the throttle lever to be moved past idle into cutoff. The right hand throttle lever did not show this fault, so shutdown of this engine must have been deliberate.

The report highlights a relight procedure problem which can catch the unwary, it is only possible to relight one engine at a time and if the first relight has not fully completed any attempt to start relighting the second will cause BOTH to abort.
This seems rather daft to me, surely it would be more sensible to simply inhibit or delay the second relight until the first has completed ?.
I don't think it's daft as the same logic applies to other systems of the Citation as well, e.g. the fire extinguishers: That engine whose fire button is pressed _last_ will get the extinguishers. This is rehearsed numerous times during simulator courses in connection with aircraft evacuation with (suspected) engine fire.
And the same applies to the starters: Since the battery is not strong enough to operate both starters in parallel, the starter that was selected _last_ gets the current. This is taught in the initial type rating course.

Some may say that it was bad luck.
Not their day. Whatever. But then we can save our money for future accident investigations, because some degree of bad luck (but there is no such thing as "luck" in the universe) is always involved in accidents. In a world filled with good luck alone, there would be no accidents, because however stupidly one behaves, the good luck will always save the day.

I think the report's conclusion is very valid, that all turbine powered aircraft (btw. why not _all_ aircraft, regardless of their means of propulsion?) should be equipped with data and voice recorders. Gadgets like the iPod show, that solid state recording devices can be mass-produced at very low prices, adding only a small amount to the cost of flying. Some intercoms already come with "clearance recorders" bulit into them. All that is needed is an increase of memory size for a two-figure amount in Dollars/Pounds/Euros.

In this case, the cause of the accident is not the unsuccessful restart of the engines, but the previous act of shutting them down. And only a voice recorder could tell us, why the crew decided to do that when they were already positioned on (right) downwind, flying slowly at very low level in good weather for a visual landing.

Happy landings,
max