PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2010, 08:44
ExSp33db1rd

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
........fairly confident this isnt the first air crash in India, and I am even more sure that an "local" aircrew has come to grief somewhere inside the Indian borders.
Of course, remember the 747 that was rolled into the sea off Bombay in less than a minute after take off one dark night in good weather ? All 'local' crew too. ( tho' I don't subscribe to that inference and don't want to go there. )

I was an observer at the subsequent Court of Inquiry in the Bombay High Court, and sadly the emphasis in finding the cause was entirely related to who was going to pay - Boeing for installing a dud ADI ? ( Artificial Horizon, the failure of which was assumed, but never categorically proved, to be the cause of the pilot incorrectly applying 100 deg of bank at around 1700 ft ) The ADI instrument manufacturer for making a dud ADI ? The airlines' engineering dept. for not maintaining the ADI correctly ? or the airlines' Flt. Ops Dept for not training pilots to recognise a failure of the ADI ?

But then we know that - sadly - everyone scrambles out from under, leaving the dead pilot no chance to explain, therefore it is clearly Pilot Error.

In this case the Judge came to that conclusion straight away; the SID required a 10 deg change of heading at 1500 ft.and the pilot, with everything working correctly at that stage and climbing safely skywards started to apply bank passing rapidly through 1300 ft. Clearly pilot error pronounced the judge, the SID states that a turn will be made at 1500 ft. not 1300 ft. Pilot Error.

Possibly, maybe, but not for that reason of course, the ADI would have reacted in exactly the same way had the turn been started a couple of seconds later at 1500 ft. as prescribed on the SID chart.