PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2010, 03:41
heavy.airbourne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me add, that for serious circling approaches like e.g. SAH, ADD, or even SSG, there is a data base that lets you fly those all managed, which is available for all straight-in NPA, as well: No need to fiddle with FPA, inbd track, V/S, whatever. You must check that the data provided in the database is correct, though, as database providers like LIDO employ too many airheads to be reliable. Something I wanted to point out for a long time; now, i feel better.
The hardest part is to transition from instruments to visual clues, that is where so many accidents happened, and still seem to happen. After a long night of flying (in Africa), it is very difficult to switch to G/A mode. It is easy to say: "If you cannot make sense of what you see, just go around!", but all mental energy to make this seemingly simple decision has been drained from you hour after hour...They call it fatigue, I reckon, and target fixation.
If you ask to much (from your flight crews), you will get too little, eventually. We're only human, after all.