PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Airways Expatriate Cadet Pilot Programme 2010/2011?
Old 23rd May 2010, 03:40
FlyingRubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To tell you the truth, I have gone to the Middle East before, including the UAE. It is a very different (and rather harsh) environment than what we are used to definitely, but it isn't all that bad. There are pointless bits like all those opulent projects in Dubai and all those prestige projects all over the region that will most likely be the whitest of white elephants in years to come.

I am aware that life is tough in the Middle East. Workers' rights do not exist, most things are run by diktat, and it is the only place where one can find a Dickensian debtors' prison in existence. I do not hanker to have an opportunity in a Middle Eastern airline with eyes wide shut.

But I hope you see that our opinions differ based on our situations, and it's all relative. I'm sure those currently in the holding pool are unsure and rather frustrated because things are currently fluid and nothing is certain or set in concrete for them yet. But relative to my position, the holding pool is still the Holy Grail. This is especially for those who can't afford to P2F or have any other options at all to fly 'shiny jets' (I wouldn't mind if they have a bit of dust and grime on them, honestly).

Yes, there WILL be those who are in for the wrong reasons. But as surely as cream rises, bad milk will stink up the whole room sooner or later! Some are already struggling to finish their course and those who scrape through, will definitely be shown up as things progress. As a matter of fact, those currently in the programme or holding pool based purely on merit should relish the situation, because they're the ones who can improve on the success of the programme (and the standing of the decision-makers who selected them!).

I guess things aren't as simplistic as they are, but there's no harm to be optimistic too. There are thousands of ready-minted A320 drivers desperate for a job out there but if I remember correctly, the cadet programme was ALSO (if this wasn't an afterthought) conceived because the airline wanted to have control about the quality of their future pilots. Not to mention the ability to lock them up for at least 7 years' bond, what with the A320 schedule less than ideal and the turnover on that type being very high.

I've spoken too much. I'm but a wannabe hoping for assessments to commence once again. And I really, really hope they will be soon.