PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:55
C-SAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of Dodge

Today I got out of Dodge City...
While pushing back in our little 737-400 (as a passenger, of course) I was looking at the A330 parked next door. Particularly I was looking at the position of the horizontal stabilizers in relation to the fuselage axis and to the bottom of the fuselage and I was comparing that to my visit to the crash site, to the first print, to the cactus cuts.... Now, if the aircraft was leveled or pitch down there is no way the HT could cut the cactus where it did (the cuts are no more than 1 - 1.5 meters from the ground)
I am going to do some drawings and calculations when I get home, just to determine (if possible and always keeping in mind that these are empirical calculations) what sort of AOA the aircraft should have to produce a cut with the HT 1.5 meters from the ground. Also one of the pictures that shows the tail complex shows the angle at which the HT were (it looks like a healthy full pull up) Experts of A330 please look at that picture and express your thoughts if you think that indeed the position of the HT shows a pitch up command.

Any help on doing the drawings and the calculation of the HT position is more than welcomed. Refer to the pictures and diagram already posted days ago.

Thanks

C-SAR