PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 17:23
Brookfield Abused

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIE/AI Accident waiting to happen

Both AI and AIE have been overdue for such an accident!

Having personally been PREVIOUSLY involved with them and their training for 2 years it had to happen!

This will certainly be PILOT ERROR leading to a non-stabilzed approach/CFIT!
How many times did we see this in the sim or doing line training and Checks? Plenty and really nobody at this company really cared too much!
So we'd failed em, and somebody else would pass them, sign them off they would go!

It was AIE policy to allow Line Captains (zero experience nor certified) to do Line Training for FO's on such sectors to rush them through and save time and money!

The airport is nothing really critical.
The weather was nothing compared to what I have landed in there.
Demonstrated Landing distance was not the issue, and I doubt any mechanical faults contributed either.
Just wait for the CVR and DFDR, it well tell all about this crew!
The crew had at least 18 hrs rest prior.
The crew most likely slept for an hour or more during the crossing each way to DXB, so I see fatigue as not an issue.
This a/c was essentially loaded with all options (excluding HUD).

As a matter of fact, it was a fellow JAT pilot who piloted VT-AXC in Cochin off the runway after touchdown in CAVOK conditions after performing an Auto-land (non-SOP) and causing Millions of $ in damage and nearly destroying the aircraft. It was the Monsoon soaked grass on the south side of RWY 27 that saved the a/c from being torn apart!
He was grounded and then a few months later re-checked and Released.

Who knows how many incidents and accident like this have just been brushed aside which involved BOTH Indian and Foreign Pilots?
While I was there - at least 10 or so.

I have over 50 Voyage /Failed Sim or Line Check Reports from my time there covering many of the below points.

Nepotism, several ignorant and under qualified Managers/Line Trainers/ Instructors, lack of following SOP's, non-existent CRM, seriously faulted Checking and Training practices (which produces exactly this type of an event), have made this 737 Fleet a disaster waiting to happen.

It is the passengers and cabin crew who are the real unlucky ones here having placed their mis-guided trust into such an Operation. These people usually return to India after 1-2 yrs of slave like conditions, bringing with them 30-50 kgs of gifts, housewares and the last paychecks.

I'm sure both Pilots did even know the proper EMERGENCY COMMANDOS, if they even had a chance to use.

While there, we NEVER did Emergency Training and I am confident still has never been done with crews!

What is really sad - the Crews under AI's insurance are NOT insured.

The surviving members of the pax., may be lucky and receive a $30,000 insurance payout many years from now. Always a serious drawback when flying with such 3rd World insured Operations.

So maybe this will finally wake up the DGCA and AI and have them look at this operation, its training and checking!

To Right this Wrong, the Fleet and Airline (AI) would have to be grounded, and painstakingly restructured the proper way!

Last edited by Brookfield Abused; 23rd May 2010 at 00:13. Reason: Corrections