PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - decent radio to listen to atc?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:19
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how many of those on here who encourage flouting the law would like to have members of the public spying on them while they are working? Like someone listening in to your phone calls, or listening and watching over your shoulders would you? That's what you are doing when you listen to the air, police or other utilities. These people are doing their jobs and need to speak to others just as if they were in the same office. Radio gives them the facility to carry out that work over long distance.

What they don't understand is that it's not just the airband which is confidential, but ALL radio comms for which they do not have proper authority. They just need to understand that that is the LAW, whether they like it or not. It has nothing to do with recent governments; it has been law for decades. When I did my Flight R/T Operator Licence in about 1962 the examiner pointed out that the licence only entitled me to use the airband whilst I was flying as part of a crew.

I don't particularly care what the anoraks get up to, just as long as they know where they stand in law. I have had PMs thanking me for that advice from the more sensible individuals on PpruNe over the years.