PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine theory
Thread: Engine theory
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:13
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SNS3Guppy
one will know that fuel flow is determined by the pressure drop across the fuel injector nozzles. A plugged injector means a lower fuel flow, which indicates as a higher fuel flow
It's been 28 years since I sat A/C Tech so please excuse the request for claification. Apologies to funfly for the "slight" thread hijack.

Thanks for my education lesson for today. I had either forgotten or never knew that was how fuel flow was measured. I now need to do more reading on this subject.

If I understand what you said correctly, because the blocked injector will not result in the lower pressure because the fuel is NOT actually flowing, this is then displayed as a higher fuel flow even though it is not. Does the same anomaly occur in the Lycoming IO-540 or indeed all IO engines? I ask because it seems that this appears to be due to the way the instrument interperates the pressure and displays it as a higher fuel flow. Is this somewhat correct or am I talking through where the EGT sensors are located?

Gotta love EGT gauges that able you to cross check and make sure fuel flow matches with the appropriate temps.