PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jumpseat Question
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 16:03
744Cap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I almost never post on this board but do read it with interest from time to time. Most of my replies have simply been to informational requests from either younger CX crew or outsiders with an honest curiosity about our operations.

This topic, though, is so absurd as to almost require an answer. To those who ask why give the JS to a non-AOA member, let me ask you a couple of thoughts/questions:

1. Who owns the airplane, and thus the JS? Is it our employer or the AOA? Last time I flew (18 hours or so ago), that bugger was screwed into the cabin floor just like the other 300+ seats. The JS is a courtesy CX allows us to offer to our fellow employees, nothing else. It is not a bargaining chip for you or the union.

2. You make your statements in a way that basically says only AOA members are full crew at CX. Really? How would you feel if all non-AOA members walked off the job tomorrow night at 11:00pm? Now before you say how incredibly wonderful that would be, keep in mind that a) you think your hours are bad now I can promise you you'll be flying 99.99 hours every month moving forward, and b) your profit share will be living somewhere outside obvlivion for the next 10 years. Let's not even think about what pay will be. You say 30% are non-members? Well, think of capital costs pretty much staying the same except you lose 700 salaries and revenue goes down by, what, 30-40%? Nice business plan guys.

I have been an AOA member almost since its beginning and yet the thought had honestly never occured to me in almost 9 years as a captain to even link the idea of membership with a JS request. Wow, you actually go look at the membership list to decide who to grant J1 to? Really? I sure to God hope you are wasting all this time sitting in a hotel room rather than when you're actually home! Geez.