PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 22nd May 2010, 15:13
Eddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boondocker
In fact, by accepting the status quo for all these years almost all the remaining membership, some 10000, apart from the true die-hards who wouldn't have it any other way, need to accept responsibility for where we find ourselves today.
Agree entirely with this.

When I joined BA I immediately joined Bassa, too. And I attended, until last year, almost every single Bassa meeting. I'd request days off, take leave days and I'd fly down from Aberdeen just to attend.

I'd be one among 25-30 regulars.

Then, when things started hitting the fan and our terms were in jeopardy, everyone started coming out of the woodwork. We'd get a thousand or more people at the really important meetings while, almost immediately after things had calmed down, attendance figures dropped way back again (although not to the 25-30 level - I remember once failing to get a quorum!)

Walsh has every reason to believe that this isn't really a strong union because people only pop up when something seems to impact them. They tend not to be interested the rest of the time.

Had 1,000+ people attended every meeting every time (very possible), Mr. Walsh may well have been more dubious about being so steadfast in his position.