PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:09
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 737-800 does not look too bad if you look at the landing performance figures in the FCOM, but in RL... It is one of the most demanding aircraft when it comes short and/or contaminated runways.
I know nothing about the runway state/weather at the time of this accident, but in general:

-I have never landed on a grooved runway in India.
-I have never landed on a "flat" runway in India.

So if it's raining, it will have an amount of water/standing water on it, and your wheels are hardly touching the surface as you bounce along during landing.

Did this crew originate in Dubai, or was this the end of a India-ME-India night duty? If this was the case, I know how these two felt at 6:30 in the morning. It's a common pattern, all airlines in the region (India/ME) does them, but it
doesn't make it any easier or safer.

FL 40 is a preferred option if you are in any way runway limited, but it will give you an "unfamiliar" attitude in the -800. It's easy to end up slightly high when you cross the fence (during normal landings) and the result will often be a long landing. Throw in some pilots allergy against auto brakes, and you will fast find youself in a less than desirable situation.

Talking in general, I have no reason to say the IX crew did one thing or another.