PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Management
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2010, 05:00
a747jb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe that I am actually going to answer a post to you MM, but why not. For starters, I am actually going to give you credit in a few things that you have said over several posts you have made now and in the past. For starters, many do make mean and scowling remarks towards EK management and some are supported while others are not. Secondly, You are spot on when you say now and said in the past that this business is purely run on economics. This past year, economics supported your argument. Third and finally, I can see as how you get frustrated and would dislike the pilot types due to the fact I have rarely see any legitimate responses to your posts. No wonder management hate pilot as much as pilots hate management.

Now, all the above being said, I must call you a bit ignorant in your latest rumbling which is the one I will address. When you state that we cannot find collaborative or effective ways to effect change, maybe that because such a system just simply doesn't exist at this airline. Let me give you an example. In the past you have said that instead of bitching here on PPrune, we should approach our managers and simply express our concerns. I will argue that we do indirectly do this every day and week through our ASR system. My example I will ask you to comment about is the continuous barrage of fatigue reports being filed (usually 2-5 per week depending) We have continued to approach management on this particular issue time and time again, through these reports, online fatigue analysis forms, at wash up meetings during training, and through bitching on PPrune. However, to date, the ASR system has never raised the risk level to even medium, we have seen no decrease in our working hours, and to be honest maybe even flying more. We now have to read fleets response to our cries for help on this subject in the weekly updates and not to be too mean or too blunt, but A.S.'s responses, although possibly good in intention, show that fleet management could give a crap about this and don't find fatigue an issue here at all. Certainly, it shows management are going to do nothing about it. Sure, its business, but fatigue will get people hurt if let ride long enough, and unfortunately, management have let this one go for nearly a year now in all ranks across the company but especially on pilots and even more so on cabin crew. So I ask you to tell me and all the others here this: WHAT ARE THE EFFECTIVE AND COLLABORATIVE WAYS WE CAN EFFECT CHANGE? HOW DO WE GET OUR POINT ACROSS TO OUR MANAGERS? I agree with you that this website is not the answer, however, it does show the others who are looking in what is going on in this airline and in this region. The problem is now, I just simply don't think our managers are in any position to actually help us. They are being pushed by the beans counters and we suffer the effects of that.

This is just one example of several I can think of. It is however I think the one that is of greatest consequence at the moment as it truly is running our lives, ruining our marriages, and effecting our health. Its the one that we have approached management time and time again about to no avail. So please, tell me how we are suppose to do something about our complaints. Tell me who we are suppose to go to when the one established system has done virtually nothing to help us. I'm sure myself and everyone on here would like to know.

In closing, just remember one thing. A pilot can tell you that you can run a jet engine at 110 percent for a while even with no maintenance. So can a mechanic, a flight attendant, a cadet, and even a manager. What none of them can tell you is when it will fail. The only known fact that cannot be argued is that it WILL FAIL in a matter of time. Our managers at EK are running, and have been running this airline at 110 percent, with arguably negative maintenance for a long time now. Like you said, economics says they can. I just hope I don't wake up in the morning and see an EK tail on the news like I saw Air India this morning. It will truly be a sad day indeed, but one that you in management could have at least attempted to prevent even though economics said you could do as you wished. The day, I fear, is nearer than all of us want to admit.