PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 21st May 2010, 22:36
43Inches

Received 425 Likes on 233 Posts
Since the introduction of Sims the ego of some training pilots to engage in sequences that might only be carried out in the sim surfaces from time to time and in fact I have seen some of these ego maniacs try some of this stuff in the aircraft, surviving (sometimes) only due to good luck rather than good management! I have no idea what they are trying to prove? (the push em till they break attitude perhaps?)
I think this is more a case of a little knowledge is dangerous in that they don't appreciate the fact the sim exercise is to prove how marginal a situation is. The sim exercise is not to prove you can get away with it but rather instill in the pilot a procedure which will most likely result in success.

The proof of this is previous posts regarding aircraft climbing with a propeller which fails to feather and continues to windmill. Yes the sim may say its possible and some incidents in the past the crew may have had similar situations in which they were able to climb, but is this the case always?

At least one bras was not even able to maintain altitude after a powerplant failure, let alone continue a take-off sucessfully (not refering to the Air North accident).

Whilst training a V1 failure in the aircraft was necessary without simulators as mentioned before it always carries a greater risk than a normal departure. Throw in even a small system failure on top of a simulated failure and confusion and loss of control can occur, a simple distraction at the wrong moment is all it takes.

Any instructor who has had a student lock up on them during sequences like stalling knows the risks involved in any abnormal operation. Any way of mitigating the risks should be taken. Assymetrics and emergency training in large aircraft should be in the simulator as the risk factor everything considered is very high.

Last edited by 43Inches; 22nd May 2010 at 00:37.