PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT arriving at a new aerodrome
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2010, 21:12
R2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well I will give it a go on Saturday and let you guys know what worked best. In the end it is not a big deal and I am sure you can see it in different ways and still get the necessary information. In the end ATC will let you know if you missed anything.
Actally mate, it is quite a big deal! You need to know the type of ATSU you are working as that will tell you what type of service they will give you, and also what information they require to do so. Also it will pay to have an idea of how busy the particular field is likely to be, so as to ascertain how busy the guy on the other end will be. Then you need to consider how to gather the information you need, i.e. take a minute or two to listen out and build a picture, check and copy down the ATIS, once or twice I´ve listened to a lovely consice ATIS broadcast only to stumble over my opening RT when I forgot the ATIS designator AND the pressure!
Then when thats all done, you need to compose your message mentally before launching into a 3 minute speel with a weeks supply of Umms and Errs.
Like has been said before, keep it simple!
I was tought to call up a new station with
(Station Name) G-XXX......
then just wait for them to ask you to pass your message. gives the folks in the App room/Twr/sat infront of the radio&filling in aircraft movements & taking money (Shobdon!) a chance to prepare themselves/get to the radio!
after that follow the relevant RT procedure for the ATSU you are working. I´m assuming you are still training, so you instructor should be able to go into the innermost workings of the system for you.
Best of luck! Let us know how it all goes