PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2010, 20:59
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bearfoil:
Truth be told, Sullenberger, of the two Captains, had the (far) easier challenge.
I understand what you're getting at, but I wouldn't go that far. Both scenarios are pretty much the dictionary definition of "fresh underwear time". I think in terms of the media response, Capt. Sullenberger was luckier in that it's pretty easy to explain to a layman exactly what he had to do, whereas Capt. Burkill's situation was more complicated in terms of thought process and explanation.

A lot of people aren't aware that the Captain can still be in command while not personally manipulating the primary flight controls. Still fewer are aware that a Captain can sometimes be more effective in an emergency situation when he is not the handling pilot - UA232 was a major case in point, and this has now been joined by BA038.

[EDIT : I realise that strictly speaking, with UA232 Capt. Haynes was handling the primary flight controls, but because they were next to useless with the hydraulics gone, Capt. Fitch was effectively the handling pilot, manipulating the throttles.]

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 21st May 2010 at 23:13.