PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Airways Expatriate Cadet Pilot Programme 2010/2011?
Old 21st May 2010, 17:21
EY18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@FlyingRubber
Thank ZS-PTU for your informative AND encouraging post! So I guess it boils down to the current batch starting training first before any new selections take place? Any idea when they will know their start date? I've been rather hopeful that things will be brought forward since the world economy and aviation industry have been recovering nicely earlier this year, but I guess things have started looking uncertain again.

Nonetheless, it takes 2 years to fully train a cadet. And it's highly probable the world would have recovered almost fully by then and the airline will need that many A320 drivers during that period. Oh well, here's to hoping
I'm in the holding pool waiting to start... but I don't have great hopes. They've messed me and the others around so much... we've been given tentative start dates several times. I wouldn't be surprised if they reject us next year and announce that the international scheme is cancelled.

The airline is losing money left right and centre, they're cutting back in all areas of business (ask any Etihad pilot) and the LAST thing they need is more cadets. It was a crazy idea in the first place, cleverly designed to allow friends and family of their executives to become pilots at someone else's expense. You just have to take a look at some of the current cadets... failing exams, getting drunk every weekend, no motivation, taking it as a free ride with no real passion... there are some people who no way in hell should be there... of course there are some genuine people too, but it seems they were chosen to avoid the whole scheme from looking like a sham.

As for the world economy recovering, don't make me laugh. The Eurozone is collapsing, airlines are losing money everywhere, the Middle East has no growth, Etihad has pushed back aircraft deliveries for a reason... boasting about 95% load factors sounds impressive, but if 20% of those on board are not paying for their ticket...

Under James Hogan's leadership, the airline will never succeed. Sponsoring the Irish Hurling team... hello? Who the hell cares about a curling team, and why does a Middle Eastern airline from 3500 mile away want to sponsor them?? Talk about a colossal waste of money.