PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 21st May 2010, 16:54
PC767

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I foung tiramasu's post odd too. I'm not a striker, nor a fan of either BA/BASSA/Unite leadership. But more importantly I'm not a fan of the t&cs of new fleet and neither would my family or mortgage provider be.

I'm slowly reconciling myself to the notion that within the next two years I'll be gone, and will leave matters to the kids and students. Thats not an insult, but who else could afford to start on £11k plus £2.40 allowance, nobody with a mortgage or other responsibilites. An issue has always been BA's mantra of being the worlds premium long haul carrier, but on the cheap. The two don't go together.

I know BA is much bigger than just me and I should put my concerns to one side to see the company survive. I know that the £23,565.13I made last year as a 75% world wide purser, after 17 years of service is pushing BA towards extinction. Clearly the media and contributors to this forum know that it is only the cabin crew, and only them, who are not only the only cause of BA's continuing financial woes, but also the stumbling block to seeing BA shoot to the top of the FTSE, and preventing bonus payments and shares to all who are eligible. (Not cabin crew.)

But you've got to understand why I believe Walsh's way is wrong. Savings must be made and BASSA's way is also wrong. Take one or two of the crew of each aircraft, I'm happy with that. Scrap the telephone allowance, scrap the early day report. All that means to me is more or less continuity of earnings. But new fleets and MTP mean a loss. I understand the bigger picture, the UK economy, the world economy, Mrs PC767 lost her job last year. £23,565.13 is the only salary into my household. I could give it all up, have the house repossessed and go onto benefits, and take home more than I do now. I have 4 kids. But thats not me, not at all. One benefit I do recieve is the child tax credit, which we all do in the UK. That has risen since last year so I thank the tax payer for that.

I would rather stand on my own two feet, thats how I've been brought up, and indeed I'd rather fight to stay on my own two feet. But reading through this thread, and in the media it seems I'm not entitled to do so.

I didn't strike because I felt that would be counter-productive to our fight, and I've not read of a strike which has actually achieved anything. I also believed it was exactly what Walsh wanted.

Anyhow rant over..... just need to get it out occasionally and spare my family the trouble.