PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 21st May 2010, 15:40
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks!

I am not prepared to discuss the accident in question, however a few points have been raised in recent discussion that I feel deserve some comment:

As an experienced training Capt on Transport category aircraft including the days when a sim was not available, I have conducted all training sequences in the aircraft including engine failures and in some cases after V1 with all 3 wheels still on the ground (prior to Vr) and fly away. Yes, there is a risk, however I suggest that good training techniques, good planning in conducting the sequences and appropriate briefings are all good mitigators against the identified risks. Once upon a time there was no choice as Sims for many aircraft were not available.

Australian CASA requirements for Training Captains are weak to say the least and in many cases approvals are given to pilots with no training background or experience whatsoever. I have always considered this inappropriate at best and it is good to see some changes filtering thru the system these days. Once upon a time it was rare to find a pilot that at one time or another had not been an instructor in GA, that is now not the case and many of these non-instructors are put in a training position with minimal or no Instructional Technique training. I have always believed that a basic instructors course should be part of any training pilot approval.

Nevertheless, the boys clubs still exist and many training departments are full of the mates of Chief Pilots and/or Head of Training etc. regardless of their training background (or lack of) and even their ability to instruct. How some of these pilots can successfully plan a training mission and minimise all the risks is often I believe just good luck. I wont even mention assessment standards and how they are achieved!

Since the introduction of Sims the ego of some training pilots to engage in sequences that might only be carried out in the sim surfaces from time to time and in fact I have seen some of these ego maniacs try some of this stuff in the aircraft, surviving (sometimes) only due to good luck rather than good management! I have no idea what they are trying to prove? (the push em till they break attitude perhaps?)

Sims have their place and are an excellent tool for conducting training, especially in those sequences that have a high level of risk. I believe it is unfortunate that some training pilots and perhaps some training departments don't endorse ego free training in order to get the best value out of the time and effort that is applied. Ego is part of human nature but in this business unless perhaps you are a fighter pilot (where it helps to survive), it should be left at the flight deck or sim door!