PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2010, 15:32
bizdev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuclear Option

A number of posters over the past few weeks have mentioned that WW should/would/wll use the nuclear option i.e. sack the militants and take the 'hit' (fine) at the tribunals which would likely follow.

If I was in WW's position I would most likely resort to this option in order to stem the ongoing bleeding of customer confidence, but hasn't (yet), and I wonder why. Well he is obviously cleverer than I am (I am not in charge of one of the world's largest airlines) and he has access to Legal and HR expertise that I could only dream of - plus a strategic planning department (I assume) with experts in scenario planing (probably) - so is he holding his powder dry until the right moment or is there something that I am missing?

It got me wondering - what would happen if WW went Nuclear? What would Unite do? Would this trigger the mobilisation of the whole of the Unite group of unions or even the rest of the UK Trade Unions - a general strike - as this would set a worrying precedence for the trade union movement as a whole? Could we see the police charging the barricades with horses like in the miners strike, and country-wide protest?

Just a thought
Bizdev