PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garmin Aera 500
Thread: Garmin Aera 500
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2010, 10:51
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I have (well had!) the AV8OR since last August. It does exactly what I expect it to do for both flying and driving when it is working, The unit is back for replacement for the second time now. Latest update from Pooleys is that they are expecting a new unit for me to be with them today.

The issue seems to be something to do with the battery and how it registers with the software/battery meter but it may be voltage tolerance of the datacard. If you let the battery run down to 3 bars out of 4 on the displayed battery meter and then try to run the unit from its internal battery the databases fail to initialize and you aint goin flyin. This problem seems to develop when the unit is about 3 months old. It isn't always convenient to plug it in when using it and if you want to sit in the clubroom and re-plan your next leg over a coffee it is a real pain when it just won't boot up.

I can't believe that I am the only one to see this issue. Anyone else?

The only other frustration I had was when we tried to find out how far it is to Le Mans. Le Mans is not recognized in the airfield search although that is what it is called on the chart and in the France VFR guide. it seems that it is in the database as Arnage, really intuitive. For places in the UK the alternate names seem to be supported.

Fingers crossed,

Rans6Andrew.