PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2010, 08:26
Max Stryker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, now I mostly lurk here, leaving posting to far more experienced guys than myself, and greatly enjoy most of your contributions and insights. However, some of the things said lately have spurred me to actually write this.

"Privilege of a stabilized approach" - I sure hope that JetLag was trolling when he wrote this, because the stabilized approach cannot and never should not be a privilege. It is a requirement. 1000 feet in IMC, and 500 feet in VMC seem to be what most companies prescribe these days. If you are unstabilized at any point below that - go around. No ifs, no buts, no low-level aerobatics - go around. A failure to do so is poor airmanship.

"Twaddle" when speaking of tailwind limitations. How exactly is it twaddle? Twaddle is bringing performance tables into this - it is an operator's limitation, based on the manufacturer's demonstrated wind limitations. If you want to look at the performance tables, you will not limit wind by your TOW, you will limit your TOW by the wind that is blowing down the runway, and thus calculate your max load. Saying that you will not operate with a tailwind is... well, lets just call it - detached from the reality of worldwide day to day operations. There is no contradiction between tailwind and safe operation.

"727 autotrim" While the 727 trims while the autopilot is engaged, it certainly does not have autotrim in the Airbus sense - which operates with the autopilot off. Case in point:
Boeing 727 Stabilizer Trim System

I think I have wasted enough time and reading patience of the people who make this thread, and the rest of pprune, a worthwhile excercise.