PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 23:42
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DozyWannabe
Bearfoil:

Am I right in thinking that by "my airplane" you actually meant taking responsibility for those on it? I should be at least a little apologetic if so, because I misread it as the US version of the "I have control" callout.
It's hard watching people misunderstanding that they are actually agreeing with each other...

At the risk of confusing things still futher, I don't think that was the bit of Bearfoils post that you misread.

I read the "my airplane" as referring exactly to the taking of control, with the point being that in the eyes of many those two words and the fact that Sully "took control" made him a hero, and the fact that Peter didn't... well, many people don't get it. That simple impression has stuck regardless of whether or not taking control was the right decision.

Just to be absolutely clear - we are all in agreement that Peter did the right thing by not taking control, analyzing the situation, and moving the flaps. Those actions probably saved many lives. Sadly, we lost most tabloid readers at "analyzing" and if they get as far as "flaps" they are probably thinkng of the things you slam down over your oversized luggage in the overheads.

No, it's not fair or just, but the court of media and public opinion rarely is.