PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it still worth it?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 21:38
fly_antonov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Fanda, you are an embarassing and silly figure, no less than I would expect from a forum like this one, where alot of people get excited for nothing.

Piloting is a job like anything else.
There is always advantages and minuses to every job.
There is no point in pointing out positive aspects of the job here. You know them yourself as we all do.
I wish people on Pprune were more mature so that they could give you what you are looking for, to help you take the right decision for yourself. Silly people complain when I write about realities that they have been avoiding.
That does not help you at all, that is why I will give you everything you don' t want to read to help you answer your own question.

In the begining there is that special feeling because you feel priviledged to do something special et al. "You have a dream", you buy and pay your way in.

If it was really such a dreamjob, why would we see so many active pilots complaining about their jobs? Strikes here, strikes there, complaints about rosters, safety procedures, salary, career advancement, seniority, pensions, management, co-workers, job security, .........................
Forge it in your mind that salaries and terms can only decrease, they will never ever increase again.
Once you find employment and the dust settles, you will find yourself confronted with these problems for real, it' s not just something we hear on the news.

Later on, when you retire you look back at your life and realise that you haven' t done much more than pushing buttons and levers fighting against time, trapped in an aluminium cage with flat screens that indicate where you are and where you need to go and how your metal box on wings is behaving, for nothing.

If after reading and imagining what it really is and doing more research you feel very certain that you will be able to live with all aspects, good or bad, of spending more money regardless of chances of even getting in that metal cage, to get that "dreamjob", then you should carry on.
If you take that route, then I expect of you to not come and complain about not being able to find a job or about your worsening T&C' s a few years later.

A small piece of advice to those who are yet to make the step, from someone who has asked himself the same question for 3 years.
Plan ahead, consider alternatives, back up plans, know when you need to wait or give up and

never let your feelings make you take irrational decisions

Last edited by fly_antonov; 20th May 2010 at 22:19.