PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 21:08
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil:

Am I right in thinking that by "my airplane" you actually meant taking responsibility for those on it? I should be at least a little apologetic if so, because I misread it as the US version of the "I have control" callout. So apologies.

For those who haven't read the book, it begins with an eye-opening account of Capt. Burkill's thought processes, elaborated on later, that explain what was going through his mind and why he made the decisions he made. The fact that these thought processes take up several pages, yet the incident left him with a few seconds to think through and make those decisions is a testament to just how level-headed one has to be to pull a result like that out of your hat, and it's something we can all aspire to. But Capt. Burkill relates events just so, and still does not claim to have done anything special.

Peter, my hat is duly doffed - and as I said before, I hope things improve for you and your family from this point on. The hat remains doffed for the first officer and the rest of the crew on the flight - whose behaviour appears to have been no less exemplary.