PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON - 6
Thread: LUTON - 6
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 20:51
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes seems like Treviso has been dropped! On the latest press release on the LTN website, celebrating Wizzair's 6th Birthday it states the airline will operate 19 routes from the airport and I remember previous releases stating the airline would operate 20 routes from LTN this summer.

Also only Split and Dubrovnik routes are mentioned as the new routes they will be flying... I just hope these are not dropped, I have booked to fly to Split with them in September and working our way down a few islands to Dubrivnik and flying back from there...

Got a good deal, £78 return...

-----------

Andyafc, as previously mentioned I doubt we'll see any long haul routes from LTN anytime soon. The big carriers require premium traffic to fill these aircraft and operate them profitable, they operate very differently to the likes of how SilverJet did! This is likly to be a sector of the market LTN would struggle attracting, the EL-AL route from LTN is aimed at a very specific market, which can allow them to fill this cabin.

Continental a few years back could have been a possible candidate to operate a flight to Newark using a 757 - serving the North London area as back then they only operated from Gatwick. Now the Bermuda 2 restrictions have been lifted on airlines flying between Heathrow and the USA, they have moved all operations there, and would think LTN is too close by...

I had a friend who worked for Canadian Affair, and early last year he told me the tour operator was in talks with LTN to launch a weekly service to Toronto using an Air Transat A310, between June and September 2009. But due to the economic situation this route never materialised... Im not sure if this was meant to be a direct service or operated via another UK airport, as some of their routes operate like this to ensure they fill the plane. Like they currently operate Toronto-Exeter-Birmingham-Toronto.

It could possible happen sometime in the future, at the moment they operate over 40 a week from LGW to many Canadian cities using Air Transat and Thomas Cook. WOuld be good to see them north of the Thames serving this area!

Also unlike STN and LGW, LTN has a shortish runway so is unable to attract the likes of Air Asia X who operate an A340-300 from Stansted to Kuala Lumpar.