PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 16:55
HundredPercentPlease

Received 59 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetlag50
Hello 100% (are you really 100%?)
tell me what airline you fly for (if you fly).
I am a Captain on the A320 series. Also have plenty of command time on the 737. It's not hard to work out who I fly for - there are plenty of us.

You select landing flaps (ie full flaps to a pilot) before committing to land? Hellloooo?
In our company, if landing flaps (not always full flaps - we are encouraged to land with less than full) are NOT SELECTED by the start of the final approach (assuming NPA) then it's tea and biccies. Even on an ILS, landing flaps must be set by 1000' AAL.

The offset is notammed and due to signal interference. If the VOR is offset 4 degrees it would say it on the chart. The chart does not say that.
Every time you do a VOR, you need to check the offset. You simply look at the inbound course (092) and compare it to the runway (088). By a simple process of mathematics, you can deduce the offset.

It is nothing to do with interference, it's because the VOR is not on the runway centreline.

Impact point is reported at 500 meters. I dont know where you get your facts from.
Clue: you don't land at the threshold.

The NDB approach, if he was on NDB is 360. 550 ft for a VOR app would have still placed the impact point at about the same crash position. Dont split hairs
Splitting hairs keeps me alive.

The high ROD of descent I was referring to is in the case of the pilot flying manual in GA.
I'm sorry - you lost me. When you GA (go around), you are climbing.

There is a reason why we dont land with a tailwind.
Don't we? Do it all the time.