PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 20th May 2010, 12:19
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
from the evidence we already have, the conditions on the day were benign and well within the certification envelope

the crew were considered to be above-average pilots

that's the weather and crew taken care of, I guess .. now, what are your views on the other considerations ... for which we have, as yet, not much information of which I am aware .. ?

My money is firmly on crew error

I knew neither of the crew so I have no view on their abilities or standards. Regardless, has there been any hard evidence presented to date to suggest that they made an error ? The ATSB may discover that that was the case but, in the meantime, I think that we are better served keeping our counsel on matters of total speculation ? While not particularly wanting to get into speculation, I think it might be interesting to see what the investigation digs up in respect of aircraft systems and C&T systemic problems.

however, a smart check pilot will never allow this to happen in the first place

The sensible instructor will endeavour to do so .. however, sometimes strength and timing wins out .. I recall a mate who, as a helo instructor, couldn't prevent a student's mishandling of the collective during an autorotate flare with unfortunately predictable results. I like Tee Emm's attitude .. why put yourself in a potentially very marginal situation if you don't really need to do so ? History indicates that many fatals have been associated with training to avoid the fatal being trained for .. if that makes sense ..

While never having flown as a military pilot, I have had extensive involvement with such folk both in and out of the military .. I'm a tad confused as to why we are moving into military versus civil arguments ?